Pope Francis in the US... as I have never seen
For the past two days, I've been following CNN's coverage of Pope Francis' trip to the US. From day one when the Pope was received by Obama in the White House as Head of State to his address in the US Congress and the United Nations. For two days,I didn't get hold of the remote control to change channels. I almost didn't want to blink for a second- lest I miss a thing that the Holy Father would do or say.
I am not an American; nor have I ever stepped in the US soil. But I know and I have seen what America is- I read about it everyday. I watched it on TV every night. That is why this entire visit of Pope Francis, so far, is turning out as surprising to me as how CNN journalists see it. You see, this is the most powerful country in the world and it's clear that despite its power and riches, it still longs for the fundamental and most important thing in the world. Love, compassion, humility, solidarity.

I haven't seen the USA - with all it's personalities, journalists, politicians, its people, as a spiritual nation. But I am seeing it for the past two days- people on the streets of New York lining up for hours and screaming the Pope's name, US leaders and politicians struck by the message of the Pope, US journalists feeling excited and equally touched by his mere presence. That's how it was like when Pope Francis visited the Philippines in January this year, that's how it is for every poor or developing country he has been to. But this is America. And most of the people are non-Catholics, but the effect of the Holy Father on them is no different from one who is a Roman Catholic. Seeing the Holy Father receiving and drawing an overwhelming reception from Washington, D.C. to New York, is such a wonderful feeling for a Catholic like me. This is one of the rare times that I feel how much I am fortunate and proud to be born and raised with this religion. And I didn't know there has been a Catholic US President- Robert F. Kennedy. I didn't know the Kennedys are a Catholic. And I didn't know the Speaker of the House of the US Congress, John Boehner, is a Catholic. I was especially touched seeing Boehner in tears as the Pope delivered his message in front of the Members of the US Congress. And how everyone in that Chamber just looked so emotional. One can't helped it. You just cannot deny the Papal Effect. And so it was. Less than 24 hours after Pope Francis' message in the US Congress, Boehner resigned. And while it was definitely something he would have thought of long before the Pope's visit, it cannot be denied that such decision was influenced by the impact of the Pope's visit in his country.
When Pope Francis said he was thankful to be in the US- the land of the free and the home of the brave, the words seemed to echo a much more meaning that they usually do. It reminds the US how it was and how it should be for their very own people and for people all over the world who have always had that American dream.
And my hope is that this Papal Effect continues long after the Pope has left the America.
Comments
Post a Comment